Microchipping Deadline 6th April 2016
In England, all dogs will need to be microchipped from 6 April 2016. Dog owners will need to:
- Have their dog microchipped and registered on one of the authorised commercial databases
- Keep their contact details up-to-date on the databases
- Where a dog is transferred to a new keeper, the new keeper must, unless the previous keeper has already done so, record their details and any change in the dog’s name with the database on which the dog’s details are recorded
Permanent identification of dogs through microchipping has many benefits, including:
- Helping to reunite strays with their owners
- Helping to tackle puppy farming
- Encouraging responsible ownership
In pedigree dogs it also facilitates the reporting of hereditary health problems.
Please contact your local veterinarian for your dog to be microchipped.